FICTION WEEKLY with Mazeed Mukhtar Oyeleye: Unlettered Missives [episode 22]

Emeka, …

“What’s up?” Grace winked at you when she realised your call had ended.

“One minute, dear. Count to sixty,” you assured her.

“Alright,” she nodded and surprisingly started counting.

“Grace, you’re unbelievable,” you exclaimed.

She burst into laughter but did not stop counting. You loved how she looked and promised yourself never to make her sad.

“Thirty-nine, for…”

And your phone rang. Before you drew out your phone, a lady grabbed you by the wrist, asking, “what trouble have you gotten into this time?”

“It’s that how to say ‘Hi dear, how are you?’? Ehn?” you shot back and grabbed Grace’s hand with your free hand.

“Sorry, how are you?”

“Good start,” you ignored her apology with a mischievous grin.

“I couldn’t stop worrying. Mummy said you needed my help urgently,” she confessed, freeing your hand from her grip.

You burst into laughter.

“I have a problem with my account,” you offered dryly.

“When did you start banking with us?” she asked in disbelief.

“Bank with GT? Never. Is your bank a bank?” you snapped your fingers over your head.

“How do you expect me to help you with your account issues then?” she asked, unruffled by your negative comments.

“It’s my friend that needs help,” you revealed, placing Grace’s hand on her palm.

“Hi,” Grace greeted.

“I’m sorry I did not notice you. Hope you are not cross?” the other lady apologised.

“Not at all,” Grace insisted.

“Alright, let’s go inside. There is a surge of customers,” she beckoned, still holding Grace’s hand.

“I’ll be waiting for you right here,” you called out to Grace.

“Okay. Thanks a lot, Aquaman,” she replied.

“Babes,” you called the other lady.

“Abeg no waste her time oo. Just run everything through express,” you added.

“Mumu, you for follow us come run am by yourself nah,” she replied.

“See talks oo. Na me be GT staff?” you shot back, but she ignored you.

“Don’t worry, dear. You’ll be out before you know it,” she assured Grace.

You knew Folake meant whatever she said to Grace, and you trusted her. True to her words, it took less than ten minutes before you saw Grace using the bank exeat.

“What’s up? Has the issue been rectified?” you asked when she got to you.

“Kinda. I filled out the upgrade form, but they said it’ll take a few days before the stuff reflects. I won’t have to come here on Monday anyways. Thank you very much, Emeka. I appreciate it,” she briefed you happily.

“Hmm. What happened to the account in the first place?” you asked, offering her a can of chilled Malt you got while she was in the bank.

“I’ll pass, thank you. They said I have more than the maximum funds for my account type as I just got money through a scholarship. I don’t know which one it is, but I am happy,” she explained.

“Wow! Congratulations! Why?”

“Maybe it’s a bit weird, but I don’t take Malt,” her words shocked you.

to be continued…

Who do you think Folake is?

Do you think it’s weird that Grace doesn’t take malt?

What else do you think?

The comment section is all yours; let us read all of your thoughts!

First timer? Worry not!

Catch up on the prequels you missed here

P.S: This work is purely fictional. Any semblance to actual persons (living or late), places, or events are merely figments of the writer’s attempt at keeping in touch with reality.

✌🏾 Wadee’an!

Post a Comment

0 Comments