UDUS LOSES A STUDENT PHILANTHROPIST



Nurudeen Akewushola reports

"I was shocked  when I heard that she was dead, I can't say or describe how I feel about the loss of my sweet sister.  I never knew life was so cruel like this. I have never dreamt of saying a painful goodbye to my dear sister." Maryam Garba Shehu.

The Management and Students'  Union of Usmanu Danfodiyo Sokoto have been thrown into mourning, following the death of Hawau Garba Shehu - A final year student of the department of Microbiology and the Treasurer of the Students' Union (SU) whose sad demise occurred on Friday, the 14th of December, 2018 at the National Hospital Garki Abuja, after an illness that previously led to her detention at the hospital for several weeks.

Recall that, On the 25th of September 2018, PEN PRESS UDUS authoritatively, reported that, the deceased before her death launched a program which she tagged,  "Youth For Progress(YFP)". The program was aimed at upgrading Nigerian Youths and moving the country to a greater height.

During an interview with one of her sisters, Maryam Garba Shehu, she expressed her shock over the incident and described her death as a painful loss to the family,

"With a very great concern, I was shocked  when I heard that she was dead. I can't say or describe how I feel about the loss of my sweet sister. I never knew life was so cruel like this. I have never dreamt of saying a painful goodbye to my dear sister. She left without a word for 45 days kept in the ICU just receiving treatment for an unknown illness.  It is really painful that she is dead." She lamented.

One of the brothers of the deceased, who identified himself as Lawal Garba Shehu also told PEN PRESS about the good virtues of the deceased and described her death as a great loss for the entire family especially her parents, he said:

"The demise of Hauwa'u is a huge blow to the entire family, friends and well wishers alike. She was a young woman full of life and ambition, intellectually gifted and patient. The bond between her and we her family especially Mum and Dad was the core of her sanity. Even though death had taken its toll on her, her life and death shall continue to be a lesson to us. And her name shall continue to be etched upon our memory until the end of time."

In an interview with the the Dean, Student Affairs, Professor Aminu Mode, he described the deceased as a law abiding student and a very reliable student. In his words:
"In fact, it is very pathetic that a final year and a very brilliant girl like her passed away at this time. But then, everybody will taste death. She is very law-abiding and reliable. When she was alive, there was never a bad report about her." He declared.

The Student Union President, Comrade Ibrahim Shehu Kalgo, who is also her course mate described the deceased as a very caring and  a caring colleague:
"Hawa'u Shehu was one of my course mates and a very close friend of mine.
I've much respect for her because of her creativity and simplicity. She always encouraged me even if I wanted to quit."

He also noted her immense contributions to the development of the union.

"She was one of the best comrades if not the best. Her dedication and hard work are enormous. She contributed tremendously to the development of our administration. 
There's no single project we carried without her contribution." He explained.

Speaking with the Students' Union Public Relations Officer - Comrade Suleiman Abubakar, he described the deceased as one of the hardworking and committed executives of the Union. In his exact words:
"Sincerely, comrade Hauwa'u is kind, polite, courteous and hardworking. She took students' welfarism as her first priority.
Her words still echo in my ears, 'We promised to do this job we have to make sure that we discharge it effectively. We need to keep a tangible legacy for danfodites.' "

On her contributions to the development of the Union, he said that the deceased served the Union with all her efforts:
"She is well mannered and principled, but still has a sense of humour. She is as well wise and never relents in dropping one wise nugget or two. She used to believe that 'The benefit of unionism is on recognition, and don't anticipate anything besides it.' "

"She served the Union with all her time, strength and ability, she emphasised on many project in female hostels... As I knew, she died with the intention of ensuring positive welfarism of her female Danfodites." He added.

The Public Relations Officer on behalf of the Union however, commiserated with the family of the deceased and prayed for her to rest in peace:

"All I  will say is we love her but Allah loves Her most. I will not say anything, for it pleases Allah. Allah has given. Allah has taken. Still, I implore Allah the Almighty to forgive her shortcomings and make Jannatul firdaus be her final abode."

One of her friends, Hon. Isiaq Rofiat expressed her shock over the incident and described the deceased as a very responsible person, she said:

"It came as a shock to me when I heard of her death yesterday. She was someone of beautiful heart, an easy going person with a cheerful personality. She was always active, never lacking in her duties, and ever ready to help.
She was always a team person, even her other colleagues can bear witness that she never did anything, without seeking advice from them.
When the news of her death came to me, I received it with a heavy heart."

We the entire members of Pen Press UDUS commiserates with her family, friends and the SU and pray that we all gain the fortitude to bear this loss.

Post a Comment

0 Comments